Violent Crimes in New York
Rockland County Criminal Defense Attorney
A violent crime occurs when an individual uses violent force or threatens to use violent force upon another person. While a weapon is sometimes used in these cases, it is not always necessary to classify the incident as a violent crime. Violent offenses can lead to severe penalties, and if you are charged with such a serious crime, do not wait to obtain the counsel of an experienced and dedicated Rockland County criminal defense lawyer.
Types of Violent Offenses
- These are the five categories of violent crime, according to the United States Department of Justice:
- Murder and Non-Negligent Manslaughter – the unlawful, planned killing of another person by a sane individual
- Manslaughter – the unpremeditated killing of another person with no legal excuse or authority
- Forcible Rape – forced vaginal, oral or anal penetration of another person through coercion or physical force
- Robbery – taking another person's property through force, threats or intimidation
- Aggravated Assault – causing serious physical harm through either attacking someone or using a dangerous accident to harm another person
The penalties for violent crime convictions are often very severe and depend on various factors involved in the incident, including the injuries the victim sustained, any weapons used to commit the crime and the defendant's prior criminal history. If convicted of a violent crime, sentencing may include lengthy incarceration, heavy fines, community service, and probation.
Seek the Representation of a Former Prosecutor
If you have been arrested and charged with a violent crime, you should seek the assistance of a qualified Rockland County Criminal Defense Attorney immediately. After graduating from law school, I worked as a prosecutor for the Rockland County District Attorney's Office in New York and was promoted to Assistant District Attorney. Because I have worked as a prosecutor and trained other prosecutors, I understand what they are looking for as well as how they build their cases. Using this knowledge, I create strong defenses for my clients.
I understand how difficult it is to face violent crime charges, and I pride myself on providing my clients with aggressive and effective defense throughout their cases. I work vigorously on my clients' behalf to seek the best possible outcome for their cases.
To learn more about your charges and how my firm can assist you, contact a Rockland County criminal attorney today to discuss your defense options!