DWI Penalties in Rockland County
Working to Reduce Stiff Penalties for DWI Charges
Charges connected with drunk driving or driving while impaired by drugs can result in harsh penalties, depending on the nature of your offense, your age, and any prior convictions. If you are facing potential punishment for a DWI or DWAI (driving while ability impaired) in Rockland County, New York, it is in your best interests to contact me, a Rockland County DWI attorney, who can provide a thorough and effective defense. Because of my extensive experience with DWI cases, I have the knowhow and skills that can be used to help you attain the best possible case result in any DWI situation.
- The breakdown of penalties are as follows:
- A first DWI misdemeanor offense is punishable by fines of $500.00 to $1,000.00, a maximum jail term of 1 year, installation of an ignition interlock device and a 6-month license revocation.
- A second DWI offense in 10 years will be charged as a felony, punishable by fines of $1,000.00 to $5,000.00, installation of an ignition interlock device, up to 4 years in prison with a minimum of 5 days jail or 30 days community service if within 5 years of your first offense, and a minimum license revocation of 1 year.
- A third DWI felony offense in 10 years carries penalties of fines between $2,000.00 and $10,000.00, installation of an ignition interlock device, up to 7 years in prison with a minimum of 10 days in jail or 60 days of community service if within 5 years of your prior offense, and a 1-year license revocation.
- A first DWAI carries penalties of fines between $300.00 and $500.00, up to 15 days in jail, and a 90-day license suspension. A second DWAI in 5 years is punishable by fines of $500.00 to $750.00, up to 30 days in jail, and a minimum license suspension of 6 months.
Additionally, surcharges will be added to these offenses, such as mandatory conviction surcharges or crime victims' assistance fees. Other penalties, which may be applied at the discretion of the court are probation, community service, alcohol evaluation, and alcohol treatment programs.
In any criminal matter, it is important that you have a reliable and skilled attorney at your side as early as possible. That is what I recommend as a Rockland County DWI lawyer. By contacting me for a consultation as soon as possible, you will be taking a proactive step in your defense.
Contact the Rockland County DWI Attorney at the firm today if you have been charged with drunk driving or driving while impaired from drugs in Rockland County.